My Smol Ame (Xmas) Sentry Gun Mod for Deep Rock Galactic

I modded Smol Ame (Christmas) into Deep Rock Galactic. She replaces the two sentry gun (aka LMG gun platform) types namely the default one / gemini and the heavy one (LMG gun platform MKII).

Download the mod here: https://mod.io/g/drg/m/smol-ame-sentry-gun-xmas




The 3D model of "Smol" Hololive vtuber Amelia Watson (Christmas) was created by Seafoamboi. You can download the model here: https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/smol-holomyth-happy-holodays-cfdd2d073b454f8c94d0d76f422f1e22

The Christmas stocking used as a gun by Smol Ame was created by Duznot. You can download the model here: https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/christmas-stocking-b42b0ebf61cc436e88f8cfdebc3b463e

The process for modding this character into Deep Rock Galactic is similar to what I did for my previous mods involving skeletal meshes.

The following are new things I did for this mod:

  • Seafoamboi's 3D model of Smol Ame (Christmas) has a skeleton. I used that to pose the model to look like it's holding a gun with two hands. I wanted to apply the skeleton modifier but I could not do so at first because of the shape keys present.
  • Since Seafoamboi's 3D model has shape keys, I used different shape keys for each of the two sentry gun types. For the default / gemini sentry gun, I deleted all shape keys except the default one (Basis). Afterwards, I deleted the remaining shape key, applied all transformations, and cleared the parent and kept the transformations. Then, I applied the skeleton modifier and deleted the skeleton. I did the same for the heavy sentry gun (LMG gun platform MK II) but I used the Emote Blush shape key.
  • Since I wanted the whole model, head, arms, and gun to be animated I parented each of the vertex groups assigned to them to BN_SwivelPoint_Horizon for the whole model, BN_BarrelSlider for the gun (Christmas stocking), and BN_SwivelPoint_Vertical, the rest of the parts I mentioned.
  • I deleted most of the sentry guns' parts except for BN_InnerBody_Back which contains the ammo count screen.

Comments