I modded Smol Gura into Deep Rock Galactic

I modded Smol Gura into Deep Rock Galactic. Smol Gura replaces the aquarq crystals found in the point extraction gamemode and other gems such as jadiz and bittergem as well as compressed gold. 

Download the mod here: https://drg.mod.io/smol-gura-aquarq



Fig 1. Smol Gura aquarg crystal replacement


Fig 1.1. Bosco carries Smol Gura


Fig 1.2 Boso carries Smol Gura (2)



My workflow for this mod is identical to how I modded Smol Ame into DRG. Read my more detailed blog post to learn how I did that here: 

I modded Smol Ame into Deep Rock Galactic


The following numbered list is how I successfully modded Smol Gura into DRG.

  1. I downloaded the Smol Gura 3D model created by Seafoamboi from Sketchfab.
  2. I imported the Smol Gura .fbx file into Unreal Engine 4.25.6.
  3. I copy-pasted the textures found in the Smol Gura zip file into my Unreal Engine directory
  4. I created a set of folders that are identical to the directory associated with the aquarq crystal: GameElements>Resources>Embedded>Gems
  5. I replaced all the base materials of Gura with the textures.
  6. I created a new material. I set the material's base color to black using a vector parameter in the material editor. I named this material to "dummy material".
  7. I resized the model in the mesh editor using import uniform scale to a scale of 0.05
  8. I added Smol Gura into the scene by dragging the model into it
  9. I scaled the Smol Gura added to the scene along the y-axis (color green arrow) to 2.0.
  10. I added a plane to the scene.
  11. I scaled down the plane to 0.01
  12. I moved the plane into Smol Gura's body. The plane was no longer visible from the outside.
  13. I selected both the plane and Smol Gura in the scene and right-clicked and selected merge actors. This created a new static mesh. It is important to select the plane first before selecting Smol Gura by holding left ctrl and left-clicking.
  14. I renamed the new static mesh to SM_Gem01
  15. I opened the static mesh using the mesh editor and set the first material, a blank material, to the dummy material.
  16. I moved the static mesh and all the materials and textures associated with it to the Gems folder.
  17. I packaged the file and used DRG packer to finalize the mod.
  18. I tested the mod locally by moving to my mods folder where my DRG directory is located.
  19. The mod works so I uploaded it to mod.io and set the tags to auto-verified, cosmetic, visual, and checked all the game versions.
  20. I tested the mod in-game using mod.io.
  21. The mod is verified and works without any restrictions because it is purely cosmetic.
  22. I created a presentation video using OBS, Blender, and Handbrake.


The following numbered list is about the new things I learned about modding DRG

  1. Creating a dummy material is important because DRG alters the first material slot. When I imported Smol Gura into the game without the dummy material, she was shiny blue which is the aquarq's material. Creating a dummy material overrides the original materials.
  2. Modding the gem size is tricky. When I first imported Smol Gura into the game with a scale of 1.0 she was huge.
  3. I scaled the model down to 0.3 but it was still too big. In the end I lowered the scale to 0.05. Aside from that the model appeared "squashed". To fix this I adjusted the scale from 1.0 to 2.0 along the y-axis.
  4. You cannot easily reorder material slots. When I added a new material slot to the four materials created when I imported Smol Gura, it was automatically set to five. It can be deleted but it cannot be set to one. This is why you need a plane to associate the dummy material with. After that you join the plane and the model using merge actors.


The following are images related to my workflow:



Fig 2.1. Smol Gura with a uniform scale of 0.05


Fig 2.2. Creating a new static mesh by merging actors



Fig 2.3. The plane inside Smol Gura which is important for the dummy material


Fig 2.4. The final assets prior to packaging


Fig 2.5. Pacagma's answer to a question related to correctly applying materials and textures to a model in the DRG Modding Discord server


Fig 2.6. My first attempt at importing Smol Gura into DRG. Notice that the model is shiny blue and squashed.


Fig 2.7. My second attempt at importing Smol Gura into DRG. The materials and textures are fine but the model is too big.


Fig 2.8. Smol Gura's final size

Amelia Watson and Gawr Gura are the two vtubers that had the biggest impact in my life. Their "smol" models created by Walfie and Seafoamboi have brought so much joy and laughter into my life. I am happy I was able to mod them into Deep Rock Galactic for fans and players alike to enjoy. 

Many thanks to Pacagma and the DRG Modding Discord server for explaining how to mod Deep Rock Galactic.


Sound sources:

Comments