My Medieval Minifigures Mod for Ultimate Epic Battle Simulator 2

I ported my "Minifigures - Medieval" mod from Ultimate Epic Battle Simulator (UEBS) into UEBS2. The process for getting the characters I made for UEBS2 is nearly identical to the process of getting them into UEBS. The new "modding" tools for UEBS2 are easier to use than UEBS1 because of automatic LOD generation. Gone are the days when you have to manually create LODs and hope that the models would be visible in-game and that their colors would match those of the original materials. I did run into some issues though. For example, I had to create an armature in Blender, click on it, and shift-click a weapon to parent the armature to the weapon with "with automatic weights." When importing it into Unity, it turns into a skinned mesh. The weapon has to be a skinned mesh for it to be visible in a game; a solid mesh makes it visible only when possessing a unit. Aside from this, you should only have one texture and one material per skinned mesh. For instance, I imported an older version of my lion crusader skinned mesh which has two materials for the face: black (for the eyes and mouth) and yellow (for the head). The black material is not visible in-game for LODs and so I was not able to see the eyes and mouth. To solve this, I imported a newer version of the skinned mesh found in my older Unity project for UEBS which already has one face texture and one material. I was also able to get the textures of the minifigures to display correctly. The lion crusader has the correct colors for the coat of arms, the "gold lion shield pattern." I did this by setting the material color to white (the texture was assigned to albedo). However, the torso color of the blue knights and black falcon archer became lighter. So, I decided to not change the material colors for these two minifigures. It is possible that I will have to manually change the colors of these textures using Photoshop. I also did encounter issues related to shaders in-game. Without setting "metallic" and "smoothness" in "main maps" of some of the darker materials assigned to the minifigures to a value greater than 0 in Unity, I noticed that the parts assigned to these materials had flat shading. This was especially true for the hat of the landsknecht and helmet of the black falcon archer. I set the metallic and smoothness values of the landsknecht's hat to be 0.3 and 0.5 for the black falcon archer's helmet. I did the same for the other two units.

The sounds of the projectiles are paired with character voices in the modding tools in unity. For example, the Englishman voice is paired with the arrow sound. I could not use that for the landsknecht whose weapon is an arquebus. Also, understandably the German voice is appropriate for this character. This voice is paired with a gun sound. Hopefully this gets resolved in future updates to the UEBS2 modding tools. 

There are still some issues regarding balancing the units which I might patch in a future update. The archers can dominate the battlefield especially when supported by melee units. You can "cheese" every other unit simply by having large numbers of them. The landsknecht have difficulty attacking them because of range which I will have to adjust. I realized in UEBS2 that the ranged units are overpowered regardless of stats as long as you the ranged units grouped closely together in large numbers. To compensate for this, I lowered their health to 10 so melee units have a chance of reaching them and reducing their numbers significantly. Impact damage does not work with bullets so you cannot stun or apply a force to an enemy to push him back. I might consider implementing impact damage for melee units for "knockback."

Download the mod here: Minifigures - Medieval, UEBS2, Steam Workshop

Read my detailed blog post about my "Minifigures - Medieval" mod for the first UEBS which shows you exactly how I got the minifigures to work in-game : My Medieval Minifigures Mod for Ultimate Epic Battle Simulator (Oct 26, 2022)

Learn how to create mods for UEBS2 using the official guide: Tutorials

Tools used: Bricklink Studio, Mecabricks, Blender, Mixamo, Unity 2018.4.6f1, UEBS2 modding tools by Brilliant Game Studios, DaVinci Resolve (for editing the video), LosslessCut (for trimming and merging video clips)












Comments